Sen. Spartz has introduced SB 261 entitled “school deregulation” which makes discretionary a number of mandatory training provisions imposed on schools and teachers by the State. In particular:
- 1. Recurrent training on alternatives to restraint and seclusion.
- 2. Bullying prevention training.
- 3. Criminal awareness programs and school employee training.
- 4. Training on child abuse and neglect.
- 5. Suicide awareness and prevention training.
- 6. Human trafficking identification and reporting.
- 7. Seizure recognition and response training.
None of these are bad things. They all seem very valuable. None are frivolous. However, this sort of thing adds up. Schools have only so many resources and teachers have only so many hours in the day. Decisions about education policy are usually best the closer they get to the classroom. This legislation would allow local schools to decide what type of training is necessary, beneficial, and within their means.